This stunning birthday cake is straight out of a fairy tale! Topped with a gold crown and a field of pastel flowers, this Fairy Princess Birthday Cake cake will add a very happily ever after to any birthday celebration.
Makes about 12 servings.
- Ready-to-Use Gum Paste
- Gum Glue
- Gold Color Mist Food Color Spray
- White Ready-to-Use Decorator Icing – 1 lb. Can (13 cups needed)
- Teal Icing Color
- Sky Blue Icing Color
- Pink Icing Color
- Creamy Peach Icing Color
- Orange Icing Color
- Favorite cake recipe or mix (12 cups batter needed)
- Printable Crown Pattern
- Fondant Roller
- 4 in. diameter container (about the size of an oatmeal container)
- Heart Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set (cut-out “C” used)
- 5 pc. Decorating Brush Set
- Pre-Cut Icing Flower Making Squares
- Flower Nail 7
- Disposable Decorating Bags
- Couplers (8 needed)
- Round Decorating Tip 12 (5 needed)
- Petal Decorating Tip 150
- Round Decorating Tip 3 (2 needed)
- Petal Decorating Tip 101 (2 needed)
- Round Decorating Tip 5 (2 needed)
- Specialty Decorating Tip 81
- Petal Decorating Tip 104 (3 needed)
- Petal Decorating Tip 124 (3 needed)
- Petal Decorating Tip 125 (3 needed)
- Petal Decorating Tip 102
- Petal Decorating Tip 103
- Round Decorating Tip 2 (optional)
- 6 in. x 2 in. Round Pan
- Cooling Grid
- Dowel rods (4 needed)
- Cake board
- 13 in. Angled Spatula
- 9 in. Straight Spatula
- Star Decorating Tip 32
- Multi-Opening Decorating Tip 233
Step 1: Three days in advance, make gum paste crown.
Print and cut out pattern. Using fondant roller with purple slide-on guide rings, roll out 10 oz. gum paste to thickness of 1/8 in. Place pattern on gum paste and use knife to cut out the crown shape. Dust a 4 in. diameter container with cornstarch. Wrap crown around the container and seal with gum glue. Slightly curve points of crown outwards.
Roll out remaining ½ oz. (1 1/8 in. ball) gum paste to thickness of 1/16 in. and cut out heart shape with heart fondant cut-out. Attach with damp brush to front of crown. Let crown dry at room temperature for two days.
Step 2: One day in advance, color crown.
Remove crown from container and brush off excess cornstarch. Spray crown with gold Color Mist food color spray. Let dry 5 minutes. Add second coat of Color Mist and use brush to add texture while wet. Let dry again at room temperature for at least one day.
Step 3: Also one day in advance, tint icing.
Tint icing according to the following formulas:
- ½ cup white icing + Teal + Sky Blue = blue
- 1 cup white icing + Teal = teal
- ½ cup white icing + Pink = pink
- ½ cup white icing + Creamy Peach = peach
- ½ cup white icing + Pink + Orange = coral
Reserve two cups of white icing.
Make eight cups icing thin consistency. Tint icing as follows:
- ½ cup white icing + Pink
- ½ cup white icing + Creamy Peach
- ½ cup white icing + Sky Blue
- ½ cup white icing + Teal
Reserve six cups of white icing.
Step 4: Also one day in advance, make flowers.
Using icing flower squares and flower nail, pipe the following flowers:
Flower Set 1:
Prepare two decorating bags with couplers. Fill one with pink icing, the other with teal icing.
- With tip 12 base and tip 150 petals, pipe four pink carnations.
- To make carnations, hold bag at 90 degree angle. Pipe ball base on flower nail using tip 12. Switch to tip 150. Pipe 3 to 5 upstanding petals in center of ball, quickly moving bag back and forth to create ruffled petals. With narrow end of tip pointing upwards, circle center petals with more ruffled petals, continuing around until ball is covered.
- With tip 3 base and tip 101 petals, pipe four teal roses.
Flower Set 2:
For all flowers in Set 2, fill bags with small amount of colored icing and top with white icing so color eventually fades to white.
Prepare four decorating bags with couplers.
- With tip 5 base and tip 81 petals, pipe four blue mums.
- With tip 12 base and tip 104 petals, pipe three teal roses. Reserve icing with tip 12.
- With tip 12 base and tip 104 petals, pipe two peach roses. Reserve icing with tip 12.
- With tip 12 base and tip 104 petals, pipe three coral roses. Reserve icing with tip 12.
Prepare two decorating bags with tip 124.
- With tip 12 base (use reserved icing) and tip 124 petals, pipe two teal roses.
- With tip 12 base (use reserved icing) and tip 124 petals, pipe three peach roses.
Prepare two decorating bags with tip 125.
- With tip 12 base (use reserved icing) and tip 125 petals, pipe two teal roses.
- With tip 12 base (using reserved icing) and tip 125 petals, pipe two coral roses.
Flower Set 3:
Prepare one decorating bag with coupler and tip 12. Prepare two decorating bags with tip 124 and tip 125. Fill all bags with white icing.
- With tip 12 base and tip 124 petals, pipe two white roses.
- With tip 12 base and tip 125 petals, pipe three white roses.
Make all remaining icing medium consistency. Prepare decorating bag with coupler and, using 9 in. spatula, stripe bag with combination of all the icing colors and fill center of bag with white icing. Pipe seven tip 101, tip 102 and tip 103 five petal flowers.
Using tip 2 or tip 5 with white icing, pipe either one, six, or eight dots into the center of the petal flowers.
Freeze flowers overnight. Reserve all icing.
Step 5: Bake cake.
Bake and cool four 2 in. cake layers. Fill and stack layers for an 8 in. high cake, using dowel rods and a cake board halfway through the layers.
Step 6: Ice cake.
Ice cake with reserved six cups white icing and spread pink, peach, blue and teal icings randomly around cake. Ice with spatula marks.
Step 7: Decorate cake.
Position crown on top of cake. Using leftover icing, attach frozen flowers around the crown, building icing up as needed. Fill in empty spaces and come down side of cake with tip 3 and 5 dots and pull out dots, tip 32 stars and tip 233 grass (use any remaining colors you’d like).