If you geek over video games, sci-fi, or your favorite comic book characters, the Geeked Out cake trend is for you. This square cake with its pixelated side pattern and cake topper is easy enough for beginners to make, using Decorator Preferred White Fondant and Ready-to-Use Gum Paste tinted to a galactic vibrant color palette.
Makes about 12 servings.
- White Decorator Preferred Fondant (9 oz. needed)
- Golden Yellow Icing Color
- Orange Icing Color*
- Red-Red Icing Color*
- Royal Blue Icing Color*
- Leaf Green Icing Color*
- Lemon Yellow Icing Color*
- Violet Icing Color*
- Rose Icing Color*
- Teal Icing Color
- Ivory Icing Color
- Ready-To-Use Gum Paste (3 oz. needed)
- Black Icing Color
- Favorite cake recipe or mix (9 cups batter needed)
- Ready-to-Use Decorator Icing – 4.5# Tub (4 cups needed)
*Combine Orange icing color and Red-Red icing color for orange shade; Leaf Green icing color and Yellow icing color for green shade; Violet icing color and Rose icing color for purple shown.
- Pixel Cake Topper Pattern [link to patterns]
- Paper glue
- Craft knife
- 9 in. Fondant Roller (pink guide rings used)
- 10 in. x 14 in. Cake Board
- Decorator Brush Set
- 4 in. Lollipop Stick
- Plastic ruler
- Rotary Cutter
- 6 in. x 2 in. Square Baking Pan
- Cooling Grid
- 11 in. Straight Spatula
- Gum Paste Storage Board
- Parchment Triangles or Disposable Decorating Bag
Step 1: Two days in advance, prepare cake slice pattern.
Print out pattern. Glue patterns 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 to cardstock; cut out cardstock pieces.
Step 2: Tint fondant and gum paste.
Tint 1 oz. fondant each Lemon Yellow, orange, Royal Blue, green, purple, Teal, Rose and Ivory. Reserve remaining 1 oz. fondant white. Tint gum paste black.
Step 3: Also two days in advance, make cake topper pieces and cake fondant pieces.
Roll gum paste and all fondant to 1/16 in. thick. Place patterns onto rolled out gum paste and fondant and cut with craft knife. Cut out pieces as follows:
- Black gum paste cake base/outline (pattern 1).
- Ivory fondant Cake Layers (pattern 2)
- White fondant Cake Icing (pattern 3)
- Rose fondant Candle Base and Candle (patterns 4 and 5)
- Orange fondant Candle Flame (pattern 7)
- Yellow fondant Candle Inside Flame (pattern 8)
- Purple fondant Candle Sprinkles (pattern 6)
- Assorted fondant colors Cake Sprinkles, two ¼-in. squares of each color, except black and ivory
Place on cornstarch-dusted board to dry. Reserve remaining fondant.
Step 4: One day in advance assemble topper.
Brush off cornstarch from dried fondant and gum paste pieces. Use a damp brush to attach pieces together as follows, using picture as a guide:
- Attach cake icing to cake base, followed by
- Attach cake layers.
- Attach candle base at top of cake icing.
- Attach candle to cake base and cake icing, making sure top edges are even.
- Attach flame, leaving about 3/16 in. between candle and flame.
- Attach inside flame.
- Randomly attach cake sprinkles on top of cake icing piece.
- Attach candle sprinkles.
Let dry 1 hour.
Step 5: Attach lollipop stick.
Turn topper over; attach lollipop stick, leaving 2 in. of stick exposed. Roll out black gum paste 1/16 in. thick. Cut a 3/8 in. x 2 in. x 1/16 in. strip and attach over lollipop stick with a damp brush. Let dry overnight.
Step 6: One day in advance make layered cake.
Bake and cool three 2 in. cake layers. Level, fill, and spatula ice cake for 6 in. high cake.
Step 7: Make pixels.
Roll out all reserved fondant, except sand and white, to 1/16 in. thick. With rotary cutter, cut 32-36 1/2-in. squares of each color. Place in storage board until ready to attach to the cake.
Step 8: Decorate cake.
Attach squares to sides of iced cake with dots of icing, positioning squares heavier at the bottom and more random and thinner higher on the cake side. Stop attaching squares about 2 in from top of cake. Insert cake topper.