Happy June! We know the first day of summer is a few weeks away but we’re celebrating like it’s already here! On this unofficial First Friday of summer we ‘re sharing our recipe for our stellar sangria cupcakes, combining one of our favorite summer drinks with one of our favorite all-time desserts. This delightful pairing of fruit infused wine and citrus cake mix will be a favorite for summertime BBQs and birthday parties alike!
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) lemon cake mix
- prepared red sangria (3/4 cup for cake, 1 & 1/4 cup for filling, 1 cup for icing)
- thawed frozen juice concentrate (1/4 cup for cake, 2 tbsp for filling, 2 tsp for icing)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- red icing color
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup Granny Smith apples (peeled and chopped finely)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin pan with baking cups.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, 3/4 cup sangria, 1/4 cup orange juice, oil, and eggs. Blend with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add red color to achieve desired color. Fill cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- For the filling: Combine all ingredients, except apples, in small saucepan. Cook on medium heat until very thick and just beginning to bubble, stirring constantly.
- Stir in apples. Transfer to a bowl; press a piece of plastic wrap onto surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
- For the frosting: Bring 1 cup sangria to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer on medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup liquid, approximately 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Beat butter and salt with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in 2 teaspoons orange juice. Gradually add chilled sangria, beating until well blended. Continue beating 2 minutes or until very soft and fluffy.
- To assemble: Remove center of cupcake with coring tool or paring knife. Fill with prepared Filling using a pastry bag. Pipe Frosting onto cakes. If desired, garnish with additional thinly sliced apples.
*For Frosting, use any amount of sangria, as long as it is reduced to 1/4 cup – you can always drink what’s left over!
How did your sangria cupcakes pan out? Tell us about your favorite summertime dessert and follow us on Instagram @wiltoncakes for more baking inspiration!