Hi! I’m Jessica Siskin, AKA Misterkrisp, back on the Wilton blog to share another project from my new book, Treat Yourself! In the same way that you text an emoji when you just don’t know what else to say, these treats are a lifesaver when you don’t know what to make for a celebration or gathering. These crowd-pleasers are fun, easy, snack-size, delicious, super-customizable, and work for every imaginable occasion.
Makes 12 emoji
8 cups of cereal
6 cups of marshmallows
4 tablespoons of butter
10 drops of yellow food coloring
1. Mix the recipe: In a large stockpot, melt the butter over low heat until it’s 80 percent melted, about 1 minute 20 seconds. Note: If the butter begins to sizzle, lower the heat. It should melt very slowly.
2. Add the mini marshmallows and stir gently, coating them with melted butter, about 30 seconds.
3. When the marshmallows are about 80 percent melted (when you can still see the individual marshmallow shapes but they are beginning to run together), add the yellow food coloring. Stir for another 15 seconds and then turn off the heat.
4. Stir gently until the color is well distributed but the marshmallows are still only about 80 percent melted, about 35 seconds (you should still be able to identify individual pieces within the melted ones). Note: If the marshmallows melt too much, the mixture will be too hot to handle—wait 1–2 minutes and then mold quickly!
5. Add the cereal and mix well, until the marshmallows and cereal are fully combined, about 40 seconds. Do not overmix!
6. Once the mixture is combined, coat the palms of your hands with cooking spray before handling it. Also coat the inside of the cookie cutter with cooking spray and place it on the parchment-covered work surface.
7. Using one handful at a time, place the mixture in the center of the cookie cutter and press the mixture to the edges until it begins to firm up and the top surface is flat. Remove the disk from the cookie cutter and repeat 11 times.
8. Using black icing with a round tip, draw the smiley details.
9. Using red icing with a round tip, draw the smiley details.
10. Using white icing with a round tip, draw the smiley details.
11. Using pink icing with a round tip, draw the smiley details.
12. Using white sparkle gel, draw details on the sunglasses emoji.
13. Using red sparkle gel, draw two small dots on the cheeks of the embarrassed emoji and blend them into the mixture with your fingers.
14. Using pink sparkle gel, add cheek details to the kiss face and happy faces, as shown, and blend with your fingers.
15. Using light blue sparkle gel, draw tears on top of the white icing, as shown. Outline the tears with dark blue sparkle gel.
16. Using black icing with a round tip, draw black dots in the center of the white circles to finish the eyes.
Enjoyed this project? Find more than 90 rice cereal projects in the book, Treat Yourself!, available for purchase now!