The luck o’ the Irish will be on your side with this St. Patrick’s Day Ombré 5-Layer Cake! Ombre cakes are easy to make with the Easy Layers Cake Pan Set.
24 oz. White Decorator Preferred Fondant
Kelly Green Icing Color
5-piece Decorating Brush Set
Easy Layers! 6-inch Cake Pan Set
10 x 16 inch Cooling Grid
Ready-to-Use White Decorator Icing
9-inch Angled Spatula
9-inch Fondant Rolling Pin
12-inch Disposable Decorating Bags
Decorating Tip No. 3
Favorite White Cake Mix
- Two to three hours in advance, tint five 1-3/8 inch balls of fondant five different shades of green, ranging from light to dark. This will make two shamrocks and a fondant strip in each color. For each color shamrock, roll three 1/4 inch balls. Cut three of the balls in half. Roll each half into a cone shape. Use damp brush to attach two cones, pointed ends together, to form each leaf. Flatten slightly. Repeat for a total of three leaves on each shamrock. For stem, roll a log, 3/8 inch long x 1/16 inch diameter. Use damp brush to attach leaves to log. Trim log, leaving about 3/16 inch exposed. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted surface, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare cake batter following recipe directions. Divide batter into five equal portions. Tint each portion a different shade of green, ranging from light to dark. Gradually add more color to batter for darker shades, but mix batter between additions to check color. Bake and cool cake layers in pan set according to pan package directions.
- Place darkest green cake layer on cake plate. Use spatula and white decorator icing to ice top of layer smooth. Stack next darkest green layer. Continue icing and adding layers, with lightest green layer at top. Ice top and sides smooth with white icing.
- Use cake marker to mark side of cake for positioning fondant strips. From bottom of cake, mark 3/8 inch up, 1-5/16 inch, 2-1/4 inch, 3-1/8 inch and 4- 1/16 inch. Use 9 inch fondant roller with pink guide rings to roll out remaining fondant in all shades, separately, 1/16 inch thick. Use fondant trimmer to cut one strip in each shade, 21 inch long x 1/4 inch wide. Use damp brush to attach strips around cake, aligning bottom with marks. Trim excess as needed. Use damp brush to attach shamrocks to same color strip at front and covering seam in back.
- Use tip 3, a cut disposable decorating bag and white icing to pipe bead bottom border.