In less than three weeks, I’ll be 30. In my early 20’s, turning 30 seemed like such a big deal – one of those milestones where you’re supposed to have all kinds of life goals checked off your to-do list or else…or else what, exactly? 30 is certainly a milestone, but it’s also just a number, so let’s not stress over it. To kick off the next decade of my life, I wanted to do something fun and memorable; something that would remind me to keep loving life and having fun.
We’ve all seen cute and funny photos of babies celebrating their first birthdays with a smash cake, and after seeing a few adult smash cake photos pop up in recent weeks, I knew it was something I wanted to do for my 30th birthday. I had such a blast doing this photo shoot and if you have a milestone birthday coming up, I definitely recommend doing one! The photos are perfect to have on display at a party and make awesome keepsakes. Here are 5 tips on how to have one awesome smash cake photo shoot.
1. Choose a theme. The possibilities for themes are endless: you can play off of your favorite color(s), favorite movie or the decade you were born (80’s theme would be rad!). I went with a pink, black and gold theme because it seemed simple and classy, and it’s a color palette I’ll always love.
2. Set the scene. Once you’ve chosen your theme, set up your photo area with different decor and props. Champagne was a must-have for me!
3. Get dressed up. Go all out on this one, it’s part of the fun! I can’t think of any other time I’ll have an excuse to wear a giant pink tutu, a bunch of pearls and a tiara.
4. Get into it! Once you’re ready to start taking photos, have fun with it! Turn on some music and be goofy – let your inner kid out!
5. Smash it! Once you’ve taken your “nice” photos, it’s time to get messy. That’s the whole point of a smash cake photo shoot, right?! Go ahead and grab a hunk of cake…mind you, it feels a little weird at first.
But it quickly becomes really fun.
Want to make the cake featured in my photo shoot? It’s a beautiful cake and will be a showstopper for any birthday or celebration! Get the how to here.