I’m Josh Scott, one of the founders of Craftsy, the preeminent online education destination for passionate makers to learn, create and share, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to make a guest appearance today on the Wilton blog.
Wilton and Craftsy recently launched an exciting collaboration – Wilton Method Classes®, now available online, through Craftsy’s interactive HD-video education platform, enabling you to easily and conveniently learn The Wilton Method anytime, anywhere. So, I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce you to Craftsy and ask for your feedback on how we can make Craftsy better for you.
When we created Craftsy, we set out to make a fun, convenient and affordable place to take amazing classes from the world’s best instructors. I’ve always loved learning, but as an adult I found that taking classes was often a frustrating experience for 3 main reasons:
- Time – I have a 4 year-old daughter and I work… a lot. While I wanted to take classes, it was nearly impossible to find consistent time in my schedule to do so.
- Uh-Oh’s – I can’t tell you the number of times I come home from taking a class and try to do what I just learned, only to discover that… uh-oh, I just can’t remember how to do it. I was doing it perfectly when the teacher was right there in front of me, but now I am completely lost. This is so frustrating.
- Cost – I often found that the classes I wanted to take, from the best teachers, cost a few hundred dollars or more.
With Craftsy, we are trying to solve all of these problems… and much more.
You can take Craftsy classes any time you want – the classes are always available on Craftsy.com via your web browser and our iPad® and iPhone® apps. Better yet, access to your classes never expire – you can watch them as many times as you want, whenever you want, for as long as you want. What a great way to learn The Wilton Method®.
The Craftsy experience was built from scratch to help you avoid that frustrating “Uh-Oh” feeling. Not only can you easily re-watch any portion of your class, anytime, as many times as you would like, but you can also:
- Ask Questions and Get Answers: While watching your Craftsy class, you can easily ask your teacher and classmates questions at any time – just like in a traditional classroom. You will be amazed by how quickly you receive helpful and insightful responses.
- Take Notes & Create Bookmarks: The Craftsy website makes it easy for you to take notes while watching your classes, and each time you take a note, you are also bookmarking that exact moment in the video. Want to review an important technique? Simply look over your notes and with just one click you jump directly to the part of the class you want to watch again.
- Repeat Key Moments: Easily loop over and over a specific segment of your class until you have it mastered. It’s like asking the teacher to repeat herself without having to worry that you are slowing down the class for everyone else.
I’ve taken some really bad online classes – some were simply an article or a blog post being sold to me as a class, while others had bad video or audio quality which was not any better than what I could have found for free on YouTube.
We never want anyone to have an experience like this on Craftsy. So, we hired an amazing, full-time video production team that films all of our classes in HD and knows just how to get the up-close shots you need to really see exactly what the teacher is doing. As a result, the video quality of Craftsy classes is much like what you would expect from TV… but unlike TV we don’t focus on slick, mistake-free execution, skipping over all of the important stuff. I find that I often learn best when someone shows me the mistakes I am most likely to make and walks me through how to work my way out of them – so, that is exactly what we do in our classes. Craftsy classes are designed not just to entertain you, but with a primary focus on ensuring that you really learn the techniques covered and are able to apply them on your own.
We’ve put a lot of work into trying to make Craftsy great for you, and I would love to get your feedback on how we’ve done. Take a look at the four new classes we’ve created with Wilton and try one for yourself. To make it even easier to learn The Wilton Method®, you can purchase an individual class or buy all four at a significant discount.
Once you’ve tried a Wilton Method class or two, post a comment here and let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate suggestions on things we can do to make Craftsy better for you, or new classes or instructors you would like to see featured on the site. Like everyone else, I enjoy a good compliment from time-to-time too, so if you like what you see, let me know and I will share your feedback with our team – it will put a smile on everyone’s face.