A voluminous ring of piped buttercream flowers in varying shades with pops of contrasting color personifies this stop-and-stare look of the year. The variety of flowers within the arrangement adds additional interest. Don’t be intimidated. Each flower is piped separately, then frozen and added to the cake top later.
Makes about 20 servings.
- Buttercream Icing Recipe (13 cups icing needed)
- Violet Icing Color
- Rose Icing Color
- Pink Icing Color
- Black Icing Color
- Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Royal Blue Icing Color
- Ivory Icing Color
- Garden Icing Color Set (aster mauve used)
- Favorite cake recipe or mix (5 cups batter needed)
- 12 in. Disposable Decorating Bags
- Flower Nail Templates (optional)
- 4 pc. Decorating Nail Set
- Pre-cut Icing Flower Making Squares or waxed paper squares
- Petal Decorating Tip 150
- Round Decorating Tip 12
- Petal Decorating Tip 126
- Petal Decorating Tip 104
- Petal Decorating Tip 103
- Round Decorating Tip 7
- Petal Decorating Tip 102
- Round Decorating Tip 3
- 8 in. x 3 in. Round Pan
- Star Decorating Tip 4B
- Leaf Decorating Tip 352
- Leaf Decorating Tip 366
Step 1: Prepare stiff consistency buttercream icing.
Tint 4 cups icing light violet with a small amount of pink and ivory; thin to medium consistency and set aside for icing the cake. Tint 2 cups stiff icing each
- Violet icing color and Royal Blue Icing Color for blue
- Pink icing color and Lemon Yellow icing color for pink
- Violet icing color and Rose Icing Color for purple
- Aster Mauve icing color
Also tint 1 cup icing with Aster Mauve icing color and Black icing color for dark aster mauve.
Step 2: Prepare to make flowers.
Prepare decorating bags with couplers and fill with purple, blue, pink, aster mauve and dark aster mauve stiff icing. For all flowers, attach a flower nail template, if using, to the flower nail; using a dot of icing, attach flower making square.
Step 3: Pipe carnations and roses.
- Pipe three tip 150 purple carnations.
- Pipe four aster mauve roses with tip 12 base and tip 126 petals.
- Pipe 26 roses with tip 12 base and tip 104 or 103 petals or dark aster mauve roses with tip 7 base and tip 102 petals using dark aster mauve, violet and pink icing.
- Pipe 15 rosebuds with tip 104, 103 or 102 petals using dark aster mauve, violet and pink icing.
Remove flowers with flower square from flower nail; freeze at least 2 hours.
Step 4: Pipe wild roses.
Thin remaining icing to medium consistency. Prepare separate decorating bags with couplers for each color icing. Pipe 12 wild roses with tip 104, 103 and 102 using dusty rose, mauve and pale pink. Remove flowers with flower square from flower nail; freeze at least 2 hours. Reserve remaining icing.
Step 5: Make layered cake. Bake one 8 in. x 3 in. cake layer. Torte and fill for a 2-layer, 3 in. high cake. Ice cake smooth with medium consistency light violet icing. Fill decorating bag with tip 4B and remaining icing; pipe a star bottom border around cake.
Step 6: Decorate cake.
Remove flowers from flower squares. Position top of cake, using dots of icing to attach if needed. Fill gaps with tip 3 pull out dots and tip 352 and 366 leaves