Design inspiration is all around us. I was recently invited to a baby shower and was inspired by the adorable invitations. The invitations arrived wrapped in pink polka dotted brown ribbon adorned with pink buttons. Wilton’s Fabric Fondant and Gum Paste Mold made it easy for me to decorate cupcakes to match the invitations and achieve amazing results!
Tools I used…
Ready-To-Use Gum Paste
Fabric Fondant & Gum Paste Mold
Tweezers (Clean & designated to food use only)
Modeling Tool Set
Round Decorating Tip (one with about a 1/8 inch opening)
Flower Forming Cups
Food Safe Brush
50/50 mix of powdered sugar and cornstarch
1. Mix 50% fondant and 50% gum paste together until soft. Tint 3/4 of the mixture into the bow color, and tint the remaining 1/4 into the polka dot colors. I used brown and pink for this project.
2. Roll out a small ball of the polka dot color as thin as possible. Leave it exposed on the work surface to let dry for a few minutes.
3. Lightly dust the silicone mold with a 50/50 mix of powdered sugar and cornstarch and press a small ball of ribbon color into the mold. Carefully remove and set aside.
4. Using the tip of the Round Decorating Tip, cut out approximately 16 dots of the polka dot color. After lightly dusting the silicone mold with powder again, use the tweezers to set each polka dot in the mold.
5. Lightly dampen the food safe brush with water and very lightly brush the top of the already formed bow with it. Carefully set the bow back into the mold and press gently so the dots adhere to the moistened surface. Carefully remove the bow from the mold and set on a former to dry. If any powder remains on the bow’s surface, use the damp brush to wipe away. Leave the bow to dry in a dry, cool (not refrigerated) place away from sunlight for 12-24 hours.
6. Decorate your iced cupcakes with the buttons and bows – and enjoy!
For more cupcake ideas, browse our Cupcake section before your next celebration.