Hello! My name is Sasha Nary, and I am a self-taught baker, cake decorator and creator of @ohlalaboulangerie on Instagram. I am beyond excited to share this festive and fun Donut Birthday Cake project with you! This is a great project for everyone, regardless of whether you’re a beginner at baking and decorating or a seasonal pro! The Wilton Donut Pan and Candy Melts candy make it very easy to create not only delicious, but also stunning and unique-looking donuts!
Note: Bake, cool and decorate your donuts one day before decorating your cake to allow time for them to fully set with all decorative elements.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick spray; fill cavities with 2 teaspoons of batter. Bake at 328° F for 15-20 minutes. Donuts will be fully baked when inserted toothpick comes out clean. Optional: Divide your prepared cake batter into 4 bowls and tint using Wilton icing colors.
- While your donuts are cooling off on your cooling grid, prepare your melting pot with your preferred colors of candy. Follow the directions included with the melting pot to melt ½ cup of each desired color of candy. Once they have fully melted, add 1 teaspoon of EZ Thin dipping aid and stir well until smooth.
- Dip each donut into your desired color of melted candy and place on parchment paper, dipped side up.
4. Decorate with icing decorations and Cake Sequins before candy fully hardens. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes.
5. Prepare your Swiss meringue buttercream using this recipe. Using an angled spatula, place a small amount of buttercream on the back of each donut, then attach the donuts to your cake. Start from the bottom of the cake, then go up to the top edge, allowing each donut to rest on the previous one.
6. Prepare a decorating bag with tip 1M and remaining buttercream. Pipe swirls onto the top of your cake. Top your cake with donuts, directly behind the front donut ‘waterfall’.
7. Add Cake Sequins on the sides and top of your cake.
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo