Elevate your Halloween festivities with our spooktacular Marshmallow Spider Web Vanilla Cupcakes! These sinfully delicious treats feature decadent chocolate cupcakes topped with an intricate marshmallow spider web decoration. Sink your fangs into these creepy-cute creations and savor the perfect blend of sweet and spooky. It’s the ultimate Halloween spider web cupcake to satisfy your taste buds and haunt your dessert dreams!
Marshmallow Spider Web Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Medium Microwave-Safe Bowl
- 1 Small Bowl
Marshmallow Spider Web Cupcakes
Spider Sugar Cookies
- 1 Boxed sugar cookie mix or your favorite sugar cookie recipe and associated ingredients We recommend The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe | Wilton
- 1 bottle Black Cookie Icing, 9 oz.
- 1 package Edible Black and White Candy Eyeball Sprinkles, 0.88 oz.
- All-purpose flour for dusting surface when rolling out the dough
- Use your favorite vanilla cake recipe or boxed vanilla cake mix, following the instructions for 24 cupcakes.
- Cool cupcakes in pans for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Frost the Cupcakes
- Frost the cupcakes using the Chocolate Icing Decorating Pouch, using the standard round tip to make a dome of icing.
Prepare Marshmallow Topping
- Microwave 30 marshmallows for 10 seconds. Stir with spatula. Heat again for 10 seconds. Stir. If not melted enough, heat for another 3 seconds and stir.
- Lightly coat your fingers in oil before stretching the marshmallow to keep it from sticking to your fingers.
- Immediately use your fingers to pull a portion of the melted marshmallows out of the bowl and stretch the melted marshmallows across the cupcakes like spider webs. Tip: Before starting, place a cupcake on top of a pedestal (or use a bowl that’s been turned upside down). It will be easier to stretch the marshmallow over the cupcake if it is slightly elevated. You can also connect the marshmallow “webbing” to the pedestal to help it stick to another surface rather than your fingers. Tip: Start at the far side of the cupcake and pull over the top. Repeat to desired effect. The more you stretch and re-stretch the marshmallow over the cupcake, the thicker the “webs” will be.
Bake the Spider Sugar Cookies
- Using a box mix or your favorite sugar cookie recipe, dust the surface with flour and roll out to 1/8”.
- Use the spider cookie cutter to create the spider cookie shape.
- Bake cookies and set aside to cool on cooling rack. Note: The cookie icing will run if the cookies are still warm.
Ice the Cookies
- Ice the sugar cookies with black cookie icing to create a spider-like shape. Starting with the cookie center, create the body of the spider. From there draw single lines to create four legs on either side of the spider’s body. Embrace the different shapes of spiders that the cookie icing can create! Tip: After microwaving the icing in the container, let sit for 10 - 15 minutes to thicken. Reference heating instructions on cookie icing container.
- Add candy eyes to the spiders.Tip: In a hurry, put the cookies in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set the icing before placing candy eyes.
- To bring another layer of spidery fun, surround marshmallow spider web cupcakes with spider cookies!