Father’s Day is the perfect reason to celebrate dear old dad and the hobbies that make him unique. Show him how much he means to you with a personalized cake! To celebrate this Father’s Day, we dreamed up a flannel-inspired creation you can easily decorate to pay homage to a few of your dad’s favorite things. Use our example of campfires, tents and trees for the great outdoorsman in your life — or get creative: computers, glasses and books for the ultimate geek dad or forks, frying pans and carrots for the Top Chef in your family. The sky’s the limit!
No matter what theme you choose, your dad will surely appreciate the love and creativity that you put into this homemade Happy Father’s Day cake. Ready to get started? We recommend practicing your drawings with pencil and paper before you begin decorating!
Step 1: Bake the flannel-inspired cake
- Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Combine Kelly Green and Black icing colors to get light, medium and dark green colors shown. Tint three cups batter light green, six cups batter medium green and 3 cups batter dark green using color combinations provided. Transfer batter to 16 in. decorating bags.
- Prepare pan with dividing ring. Starting in center, fill center ring ½ full with medium green batter, next ring ½ full with light green batter and outer ring ½ full with medium green batter. Carefully remove dividing ring; rinse and dry thoroughly. Repeat color combination in second pan. Remove, rinse and dry dividing ring.
- Prepare third pan with dividing ring. Starting in center, fill center ring ½ full with dark green batter, next ring ½ full with medium green batter and outer ring ½ full with dark green batter. Remove dividing ring.
- Bake and cool cakes.
Step 2: Ice the cake
- Level, fill and stack cake. Ice cake smooth.
- Using Cake Marker, position one pin at 1¼ in. mark and one pin at 2¾ in. mark. Make random marks around cake.
Step 3: Decorate your cake
- Using Black icing color, tint ¼ cup icing black. Prepare decorating bag with tip 2 and black icing. Pipe designs, starting at top section of cake and using marks as guide for bottom of each design. Repeat for middle row and bottom row.
- Pipe message on top of cake.