Perfect for summer BBQs and picnics, this strawberry pretzel dessert recipe combines a little something sweet and a little something salty for a tasty treat that’s cool and refreshing.
Strawberry pretzel dessert, or strawberry pretzel salad, has been a summer staple for years. Cool and refreshing, this dessert combines salty pretzels with sweet strawberries for a treat sure to please.
Great for serving at BBQs, potlucks and picnics, this strawberry pretzel dessert recipe features three layers of flavor. The crushed pretzels form the crust and offer great texture. A middle layer of cream cheese and whipped topping add some creaminess and a final layer of strawberry gelatin gives it just the right amount of sweetness.
This dessert sets up in the refrigerator, so it’s best made the day before you serve it. You can also have fun customizing this dessert to fit your needs. Add a topping of whipped cream and blueberries for a patriotic twist or throw in some peaches and raspberries to pop up the fruity flavor.
How to Store
Strawberry pretzel salad is best enjoyed the day after it’s made. It will need at least 4 hours to set up, but longer is better.
You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep crust from softening.
This strawberry pretzel dessert should not be frozen.
Tips for Making Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- To prevent the gelatin from spreading, spread the cream cheese layer all the way to the crust’s edge. This should help prevent the gelatin from seeping into the crust.
- If you can’t find fresh strawberries, you can use frozen strawberries. Just be sure to defrost and drain them first.
- You can also add other fruits along with the strawberries to pump up the flavor. Try blueberries, peaches or raspberries!
- For best crust results, use small, salted pretzels (either sticks or twists). Smaller pretzels are easier to crush and measure.
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
Enjoy a light summer treat with this Strawberry White Cake, perfect for summer parties and family dinners.
One of the best ways to enjoy fresh strawberries is in this Homemade Strawberry Shortcake. Quick and easy to make, this dessert is great any time of year.
Your summer BBQ or potluck will be even better with this classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a refreshing dessert.
This Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake looks just as fun on the inside as it does the outside! Great for summer birthday parties or for cooling down after a day in the sunshine.
Fresh strawberries give these Mini Cake Donuts their bright flavor and color. Sweet enough to enjoy in the morning or after dinner, these homemade donuts are sure to become a family favorite.
Great for large crowds, this Strawberry and Raspberry Slab Pie is perfect paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Decorate the top of the pie with seasonal pie crust cut-outs.
Ready for a game changer? These Chocolate and Strawberry Dessert Quesadillas combine chocolate hazelnut and strawberry cream cheese filling for a campfire treat everyone will love.
We’ve all heard of breakfast for dinner – but what about breakfast for dessert? Stacked high with whipped cream and strawberries, this Strawberries and Crème Crepe Cake is an impressive treat for holidays and weekends alike.
If it’s too hot to run the oven, look no further than this No-Bake Strawberry Lemonade Cheesecake. Featuring a graham cracker crust and a sweet and tangy filling, it’s safe to say that your guests will simply love this recipe!
These chocolate cupcakes get the ultimate topper with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. Pair them with a sparkling rose for a delicious dessert!
What’s your favorite way to use fresh strawberries? Let us know in the comments below! And if you try making our Strawberry Pretzel Dessert, we’d love to see how it turned out. Tag us in your social media pic @wiltoncakes.
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert
- 13x 9 in. oblong pan
- Vegetable pan spray
- Mixing bowls
- tip 1M
- decorating bag
- 2 cups pretzels (finely crushed)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks, melted)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 packages cream cheese (8 ounces each, softened)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 package Wilton Whipped Icing Mix (10 oz.)
Strawberry Gelatin Layer
- 1 package strawberry flavored gelatin (3 oz.)
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries (thinly sliced)
Step 1: How to Make the Pretzel Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Prepare a 13 x 9 in. oblong pan with vegetable pan spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the pretzel crumbs, melted butter andsugar. Mix together until all the pretzel crumbs are coated with butter.
- Press the pretzel mixture into an even layer on the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let the crust cool completely in the pan before adding second layer.
Step 2: How to Make the Cream Cheese Layer
- In a large bowl, prepare the whipped icing mix according to the package instructions. Measure out 2 cups prepared whipped icing and place in the refrigerator. We’ll use this later to decorate.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat the remaining whipped icing into the cream cheese until fully combined.
- Spread the cream cheese layer evenly over cooled pretzel crust, taking care to spread completely to the edges of the pan. Place it in the refrigerator to chill while making the final layer.
Step 3: How to Make the Strawberry Layer
- In a large bowl, prepare the strawberry gelatin mix according to speed set package directions. Stir the strawberry slices into the slightly thickened gelatin.
- Carefully pour the gelatin mixture over the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
Step 4: How to Decorate Your Pretzel Dessert
- Once the strawberry layer is set, you can decorate the top with the reserved whipped icing. Prepare a decorating bag with tip 1M and there served whipped icing.
- Pipe rosettes or stars on top of your dessert. If desired, top your rosettes with any remaining pretzels or strawberry slices.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.