This Conversation Heart Valentine’s Day Buttercream Cake is filled with sweet words for you! Decorated with colorful buttercream swirls, heart-shaped sprinkles and edible conversation heart decorations, this Valentine’s Day cake is exploding with color and fun!
Conversation Heart Valentine’s Day Buttercream Cake
- 6 x 3 Inch Round Cake Pan
- Navy and Gold Decorating Tip Set (decorating bags, tip 32 and tip 1M used)
- Other helpful tools: Ruler, mixing bowls, toothpicks, tweezers
- Favorite Cake Mix or Recipe (we suggest this Basic Yellow Cake, Classic White Cake or even this delicious Red Velvet Cake)
- White Decorator Icing
- Rose Icing Color
- Sky Blue Icing Color
- Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Pink Icing Color
- Violet Icing Color
- Teal Icing Color
- Orange Icing Color
- Confetti Heart Sprinles
- Micro Heart Sprinkles
- Valentine’s Day Nonpareils Mix
- Conversation Heart Icing Decorations
Step 1: Bake Your Cake Layers
- Bake and cool two 6 x 3 in. cake layers. Level each layer to 2 1/2 in. high.
- Using white buttercream, fill and stack your cake layers. Your cake should be about 5 in. high once assembled.
- Ice your cake smooth using white buttercream frosting.
Step 2: Color the Buttercream Frosting
Use these color combinations to tint your buttercream frosting.
- 1 cup buttercream pink (combine Rose and Sky Blue colors)
- 1 cup coral (combine Rose and Lemon Yellow colors)
- 1 cup purple (combine Pink and Violet colors)
- 1 cup teal (combine Teal and Lemon Yellow colors)
- 1 cup orange (combine Orange and a touch of Pink colors)
Step 3: Make Buttercream Swipes
- Using the tip of the 9 in. spatula, swipe colored frosting around the sides of your cake, alternating colors as desired. We suggest doing one swipe at a time, then adding the conversation heart decoration and the sprinkles as you go. It’s much easier to add the sprinkles before the buttercream crusts.
- For easer application, you can use a pair of food-safe tweezers to apply the sprinkles to your cake.
Step 4: Add Top and Bottom Borders
- Prepare one decorating bag with tip 1M and another with tip 32. Using the angled spatula, stripe each bag with pink, coral, purple, teal and orange buttercream.
- Using the bag with tip 32, pipe a shell border around the bottom of the cake.
- Using the bag with tip 1M, pipe swirls around the top edge of the cake. Top the swirls with the remaining sprinkles.
- You can save the leveled crowns of your cake for cake pops! Simply wrap them in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and freeze until ready to use. You can also just snack on them!
- Toothpicks are great for adding gel food coloring to your buttercream. Be sure to use a fresh toothpick each time you add more color to avoid contaminating your gel colors.
Check out more tips & tricks
Penguin Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day
Best Valentine’s Day Desserts