Hi! I’m Jessica Siskin, AKA Misterkrisp. I’m so excited to share this project from my new book, Treat Yourself! This Gumball Machine is not only the most colorful project in Treat Yourself!, but using Wilton Candy Melts as gumballs makes it extra easy to make (and extra sweet). I use Candy Melts often in my creative Crispy Rice Treats, but here, they’re front and center. Choose your favorite Candy Melt colors to represent your favorite sports team, or do what I did and go rainbow! Just mold your Gumball Machine and use Wilton Decorating Icing to stick ’em on!
Makes 1 gumball machine, 15 inches tall
1 White Batch:
- 4 cups of cereal
- 3 cups of marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 6 drops of white food coloring
1 Red Batch:
- 6 cups of cereal
- 4 cups of marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 8 drops of red food coloring
1. Measure 2 cups of white canned icing into a small bowl and add 1 drop of black food coloring. Mix the icing until the gray color is evenly distributed. Fill the decorating bag and set aside.
2. Mix the White Batch recipe: In a large stockpot, melt the butter over low heat until it’s 80 percent melted, about 1 minute 20 seconds. Note: If the butter begins to sizzle, lower the heat. It should melt very slowly.
3. Add the mini marshmallows and stir gently, coating them with melted butter, about 30 seconds.
4. When the marshmallows are about 80 percent melted (when you can still see the individual marshmallow shapes but they are beginning to run together), add the white food coloring. Stir for another 15 seconds and then turn off the heat.
5. Stir gently until the color is well distributed but the marshmallows are still only about 80 percent melted, about 35 seconds (you should still be able to identify individual pieces within the melted ones). Note: If the marshmallows melt too much, the mixture will be too hot to handle—wait 1–2 minutes and then mold quickly!
6. Add the cereal and mix well, until the marshmallows and cereal are fully combined, about 40 seconds. Do not overmix!
7. Once the mixture is combined, coat the palms of your hands with cooking spray before handling it. Pour the mixture onto the parchment-covered template on the work surface. Use both hands to mold it over section 1 of the template and form a dome shape, smoothing the edges until the mixture begins to firm.
8. Repeat steps 2–6 to mix the Red Batch recipe with red food coloring. One large handful at a time, fill section 2 of the template, making sure to press the mixture into section 1 to adhere the edges.
9. Fill section 3 of the template with the remainder of the red mixture. Use both hands to form the shape, smoothing the edges until the mixture begins to firm up.
10. Using white icing with a round tip, draw horizontal lines across three-fourths of section 1 of the template, as shown.
11. Adhere the Candy Melts to the horizontal lines of icing, as shown.
12. Using gray icing, draw a rectangular box to form the coin slot and dial of the gumball machine, as shown.
13. Using gray icing, fill in the rectangular box and smooth it out with your fingers to make a flat surface.
14. Using gray icing, draw the coin slot, dial, and gumball slot, as shown.
Treat Yourself! by Jessica Siskin (Workman Publishing). Copyright © 2017.
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo