Welcome to First Friday — a new series focused on pairing wine and cocktails with our favorite desserts! To celebrate the arrival of March and the imminence of spring, we’re bringing you a flavor combination reminiscent of afternoon garden parties, fresh cut flowers and a luxurious cup of tea sipped as rain patters against the window. Today we’re pairing a Grey Lady, an Earl Grey-infused gin cocktail, with our Lemon Lavender Cupcakes. Get your teacups ready!
The Grey Lady Cocktail
- 1 3/4 oz Gin
- 1 oz Earl Grey-infused simple syrup (recipe below)
- 3/4 oz Lemon juice
- Egg white from 1 egg
- Cocktail shaker
- Lemon twist for a garnish
To make the Earl Grey-infused simple syrup:
Bring one cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in one cup of sugar and add 4 bags of Earl Grey tea. Steep for 10 minutes. Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to four weeks.
To make the cocktail:
In a cocktail shaker, pour egg white over ice and shake for 15 seconds. Add gin, Earl Grey-infused simple syrup and lemon juice and shake once more. Strain and pour into a chilled glass (or teacup!). Garnish with a lemon twist!
Lavender Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract, 2 Oz.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 teaspoons lemon zest (divided)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon dried lavender (divided)
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- For syrup, combine 1/4 cup sugar, water, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon zest in small saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once sugar is dissolved and transfer to bowl. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with baking cups.
- For cupcakes, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dried lavender in large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sour cream with electric mixer until incorporated. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar, 5 teaspoons lemon zest and vanilla; beat until combined. Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture and beat on medium for 30 seconds. Divide batter evenly into 24 baking cups; filling 3/4 full.
- Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove to cooling grid and immediately brush tops with lemon syrup. Cool cupcakes in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on cooling grid. Brush again with syrup when cooled.
- For whipped cream, warm cream until steaming in large saucepan; do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon dried lavender. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. Strain out solids and cool completely in refrigerator.
- In large bowl, whip cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe whipped cream on top of cupcakes.
Ready to host a boozy tea party of your own? We want to see! Be sure to tag us in your pics on Instagram at @wiltoncakes. Cheers!
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo