The holidays are around the corner, and you know what that means — cookies galore! Whether you’re baking trays for friends or you’re participating in a cookie swap with your coworkers, there’s no denying that cookie sheets will be flying in and out of ovens for the next couple of months.
And since it’s the season of giving, why not treat our fine four-legged friends, too? Homemade dog treats are a great way to share the festivities with your favorite pups. Made with natural, organic ingredients, these DIY biscuits can be cut out using any cookie cutter you’d like!
Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/4 cup organic dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted, no-sugar-added natural-style peanut butter
- 3/4 cup cooked sweet potato puree or canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, oatmeal and cranberries. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, sweet potato puree and water. Add to flour mixture and stir until combined.
Turn dough onto a lightly-floured surface and knead until it comes together. Roll dough to ¼ in. thickness and cut with desired cookie cutter.
Place treats on ungreased cookie sheet, ½ in. apart, and bake 19 to 22 minutes (for smaller 1 in. cookies) or 25 to 28 minutes (for larger 3 in. cookies). For a crispier cookie, turn oven off at end of baking time and leave pan in oven with door ajar for additional 2 to 3 hours.
Makes about 5 dozen 3 in. treats or 7 dozen 1 in. treats.
- Be sure to check that all the ingredients purchased do not contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs
- If possible, use organic dried cranberries, which generally have less added sugar than other brands
- Treats should be fed to dogs with plenty of fresh water
- If you have any questions about any of the ingredients used, please contact your veterinarian
We’d love to see pics of your puppies enjoying these treats! Be sure to tag us on Instagram @wiltoncakes so we can share in the puppy love!
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo