Rugelach is a beloved Jewish pastry whose Yiddish name can roughly translate to “little twists.” These cute, crescent-shaped desserts are usually made with sour cream or cream cheese doughs and can be filled with whatever fruits and nuts you like. Our version includes the tasty crunch of pecans and the tartness of cranberries for a truly dynamic flavor.
Give this Israeli favorite a try and let us know how it turns out. L’chaim!
- White Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package cold cream cheese (8 oz., cubed)
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks, cubed)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (very finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup cranberries (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg (lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water)
In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in cream cheese and butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
Turn out mixture onto lightly floured surface and knead until mixture comes together and forms a dough. Divide into 2 discs, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie pans with parchment paper.
For filling, in medium bowl, stir together pecans, cranberries, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
Working with 1 disc of dough at a time, roll dough into a 13 in. circle on heavily floured surface. Trim any rough edges and sprinkle with half of filling mixture. Cut circle into 16 wedges. Starting from wide edge of each piece, roll up as if for a croissant. Place on prepared pans 2 in. apart and refrigerate 10 minutes.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake 22-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on pans for five minutes; remove to cooling grid to cool completely before enjoying with loves ones!
We want to know how your rugelach turned out! Let us know and share a photo of your finished product and tag us on @Wiltoncakes!