A new twist on a delicious classic, swap out strawberries for juicy, baked plums in this unique shortcake recipe. Perfect for a crisp fall evening, this roasted plum shortcake, made with flaky biscuits and homemade whipped cream, is simple to prepare and easy to make. Most of all, it’s delicious. You can find all the ingredients you need right here, as well as simple step-by-step instructions on how to make the shortcake and the sweetened plums from the expert bakers at Wilton.
Get cooking on this new Fall classic today for a tart treat we’re sure everyone in your family will go plum crazy for! You can also shop all of our Fall Favorites with tons of fun fall projects, recipes and much more.
- White Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup milk (plus additional for brushing)
- 1 egg
- 3 medium plums (black or red plums, thinly sliced. 12-16 oz. total)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- edible flowers (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425º F. Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In food processor, combine flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg; pulse until dough forms into ball.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll out dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with 2 3/4-in. round cutter dipped in flour. Reroll dough scraps to make additional biscuits and place on prepared pan. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
4. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling grid and let cool completely.
5. Combine sliced plums and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake 5-7 minutes, or until plums just start to release juices.
6. In medium bowl, whip cream and confectioners’ sugar with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Cut shortcakes in half horizontally; fill with sliced plums and whipped cream; garnish with flower petals, if using.
Note: 12 Italian prune plums may be used in place of medium plums.
How did it turn out? We want to know, so don’t forget to snap a picture and tag us on our Instagram, @Wiltoncakes.
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo