Learn how to make icing with powdered sugar! Finish off donuts, cinnamon rolls, cakes and more with a simple drizzle of this incredibly versatile 3-ingredient powdered sugar glaze. Easy to make and adjust for consistency, this basic powdered sugar glaze gives your baked goods that little dash of sweetness for added flavor. Since this is a wet icing, this easy icing recipe does not dry hard, so take extra caution when packaging and transporting your treats.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- gel food coloring (optional)
How to Make glaze:
- In a medium bowl, stir milk into sugar until you reach the desired consistency. Finish by adding the vanilla extract to flavor. Drizzle on your favorite dessert.
To Flavor (Optional)
- Add a few drops of the desired flavoring, such as coconut extract or almond extract. To flavor with orange juice or lemon juice, replace all or part of the milk with juice.
To Color (Optional)
- Add gel food coloring, using a toothpick to avoid overcoloring.
- For thicker or thinner consistency: May be thickened with additional powdered sugar or thinned with more milk or other flavored liquids.
- Add to completely cooled treats: Heat makes this icing glaze runny, so make sure your treats have completely cooled before icing.
- To store: Store powdered sugar icing in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge. Bring back to room temperature before reusing.
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls
Treat yourself to a delicious breakfast with these easy homemade cinnamon rolls. This yeasted dough makes 8 amazing cinnamon rolls, so it’s perfect for sharing with the whole family. This recipe also includes a simple glaze made with milk and confectioners’ sugar.
11 Of Our Best Buttercream Icing Flavors
From traditional to salted caramel and mocha, these Buttercream Icing Flavors will take your favorite cakes and cupcakes to another level
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
Learn how to make homemade buttercream frosting with this quick and easy recipe!
Easy Sugar Cookie Icing
Go nuts for donuts with these fun and easy donut recipes. From lemon basil to standard chocolate cake donuts, this collection has something for everyone!