This smooth and creamy cream cheese recipe is simple and delicious. Light and fluffy in texture learning how to make this homemade cream cheese frosting is all you need to take your red velvet cupcakes and freshly-baked carrot cakes to the next level.
Best of all, you only need four ingredients to get started with this sweet frosting. A crowd-pleaser with kids and adults alike, this classic cream cheese frosting will add another layer of delicious flavor to your favorite layer cakes.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 Cup Butter (2 sticks softened)
- 2 Packages Cream Cheese (8 ounces each)
- 8 Cups Powdered Sugar (confectioners' sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla (optional), and milk. Beat on high until smooth (30 - 60 seconds). If frosting seems too thin, add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. If it seems too thick, add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Check out more Valentine’s Day Ideas!
How to Make Navy Blue Buttercream Frosting
Get just the right shade of navy blue for your cakes and cupcakes with this guide on how to make navy blue buttercream frosting.
30+ of Our Best No-Bake Desserts
Beat the heat with some of our favorite no-bake desserts. They’re quick and easy to make so you can enjoy these tasty treats without even breaking a sweat!
Our Favorite Cake Flavor & Filling Idea Combinations
From classic combinations, like red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting, to new and unique flavor pairings, like carrot cake with marshmallow buttercream, this collection of cake flavors and frosting combinations will have you looking at your favorite cake recipes in a whole new way!