It’s time to get a leg up on birthday celebrations. With that in mind, we’d like to introduce this fly fella who’s ready to party! This Flamingo Cake is a fun and festive way to celebrate birthdays of any age, a retirement, or to bring to a summer BBQ. Show up with this fantastic cake to an animal-themed party or to simply liven up a winter event – this flirty flamingo is ready to party no matter what the occasion!
- Creamy White Decorator Icing (4.5 cups icing needed)
- Black Gel Food Coloring Icing
- Rose Gel Food Coloring Icing
- Orange Gel Food Coloring Icing
- Garden Candy Color Set (Green and Pink color used)
- Primary Candy Colors Set (Yellow, Orange, and Blue colors used)
- Bright White Candy Melts Candy, 12 oz.
- Favorite Cake Mix or Recipe (6 cups batter needed)
Sugar cone (1 cone needed)
Gumball (1 Yellow, or color of choice)
- Prepare cake mix following recipe instructions. Bake and cool one layer cake. Set aside.
- Make hat! Using craft knife, trim sugar cone to 3 in. tall. Place on cooling grid placed over parchment paper.Melt Bright White Candy Melts candy according to package instructions. Pour small amount melted white candy over sugar cone. Chill until set, about 10 to 15 minutes. Reserve remaining melted candy.Using candy colors, tint ¼ cup melted white candy yellow, green and orange. Tint ¼ cup melted white candy teal by combining Blue and Green candy colors. Reserve remaining candy white.Prepare decorating bags, separately, with yellow, green, orange and teal candy. Cut ¼ in. tip in each bag. Alternating colors, pipe small dots on hat. Chill until set, about 10 minutes. Reserve remaining melted yellow candy for later step.Using craft knife, make small hole in large yellow gumball. Using remaining melted yellow candy, attach gumball to tip of hat. Chill until set, about 10 minutes.
- Make feet and wing. Tint 3 oz. melted white candy coral by combining Pink and Orange candy colors.Prepare decorating bag with coral candy. Cut ½ in. tip in bag. Place parchment paper over printed Flamingo Pattern (click ‘Download PDF’ at the top of this page to print pattern). Following pattern, pipe legs onto parchment paper.Use remaining coral candy and pattern to form wing, using spatula to swipe candy on parchment paper. Chill legs and wing until set, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut cake. Using Flamingo Pattern, cut out flamingo shape from cake. Position cake on cake board or plate.
- Tint icing. Tint 3½ cups icing light pink and ¼ cup icing dark pink by combining Rose and Orange icing colors to get light and dark pink colors shown. Using Black icing color, tint ¼ cup icing black. Reserve remaining icing white.
- Ice cake. Using spatula and light pink icing, spatula ice cake, leaving beak un-iced. Using white and black icing, ice beak, first in white icing, then in black, leaving about ½ in. of white icing exposed. Reserve remaining white and black icing.Prepare two decorating bags with tip 2. Fill separately with white and black icing. Using white icing, pipe line on beak. Using black icing, pipe line on head (for strap of hat) and eye.Prepare decorating bag with tip 4 and dark pink icing. Pipe cheek. Use tip of spatula to smooth.
- Decorate cake. Position wing and legs on cake. Insert lollipop stick into head to secure hat. Place hat on cake.
If you’re looking for a bit more direction and would like to see a Wilton expert put these together, take a look at our Facebook Live video showing you how! And be sure to follow us at @wiltoncakes for more dessert inspiration!
Share Your Treats!
Be sure to tag your photo