Learn how to pipe buttercream rosettes using different star tips. Featuring tips 32, 1M and 2D, this video will show you how to pipe a simple rosette, great for decorating cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more.
Pipe rosettes of different sizes for a unique look, or stick with one tip to add a lovely border to your cake or cover your treat in beautiful buttercream flowers.
- Favorite Cake Mix or Recipe
- Orange Icing Color, 1 oz.
- Christmas Red Icing Color, 1 oz.
- White Decorator Icing – 4lb.
- Open Star Cake Decorating Tip 32
- Performance Aluminum Round Cake Pan, 6-Inch
- Non-Stick Cooling Grid – 14.5 x 20-Inch – Cooling Rack
- Open Star Cake Decorating Tip 1M
- Decorator Preferred 9inch Angled Spatula
- Decorating Bags, 16-Inch Disposable Piping Bags, 12-Count
- Large Drop Flower Cake Decorating Tip 2D
Step 1 Bake cakes. Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake three cake layers. Level one layer to 1 in.tall. Level, fill and stack layers for 5 in. high cake. Using creamy icing, crumbcoat cake, then chill 15 minutes.
Using creamy icing, heavily ice cake, using spatula to make diagonal markings on side of cake. Spatula ice spiral on top of cake.
Step 2 Tint icing. Combine Orange and Christmas Red icing colors to get light-light orange, light orange, medium orange, light coral and medium coral icing colors shown.
Using color combinations provided and white decorator icing, tint ¾ cup icing light-light orange, 1 cup light orange, ¼ cup medium orange, ¾ cup light coral and ¼ cup medium coral.
Step 3 Prepare decorating bags. Prepare bags with tips and icing as follows:
- Tip 1M: light orange icing
- Tip 32: spatula stripe bag with medium orange and fill with light-light orange icing
- Tip 2D: spatula stripe bag with medium coral and fill with light coral icing
Step 4 Decorate cake. Lightly mark top of cake into fifths. Using 1M tip, pipe rosette on each mark. Pipe and fill around rosettes with additional rosettes, alternating between remaining prepared bags.