Surprise your Valentine with this cute striped buttercream cake. Use the icing comb set to make indents in your iced cake, then fill in the lines with bright purple frosting. Complete the look by adding bright pink buttercream heart shapes, candy heart sprinkles and a rope border around the top. With lots of room for candles or a cake topper, this Valentine’s Day cake can also be used for a bridal shower or February birthday.
Stripes Valentines Day Cake
- 2 Round Decorating Tip 10
- Cake Icing Tip 789
- Cake Turntable
- Icing Comb
- Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake and cool three cake layers. Level, fill and stack layers for 6 in. high cake.
- Crumb coat cake. Chill until icing has set, about 30 minutes.
- Tint 2 cups of icing pink, and 1 cup of icing purple using color combination provided. Reserve remaining icing white.
- Combine Violet and Rose icing colors to get purple color shown.
- Prepare a decorating bag with Tip 789 and reserved white icing, ice cake and smooth with a spatula.
- Run comb with square notches around the entire cake, leaving the top smooth.
- Prepare a decorating bag with Tip 10 and purple icing, fill in the 7 grooves created with the icing comb. (starting from the bottom of cake).
- Prepare a decorating bag with tip 10, fill in the remaining groves around cake.
- Using icing smoother, carefully smooth cake, wiping the smoother clean between swipes. Smooth top of cake with spatula, if needed.
- Using tweezers, apply pink heart sprinkles around bottom of cake (along third line from the bottom).
- Prepare a decorating bag with tip 1M and pink icing. Using the shell technique, pipe hearts around cake, angling shells next to each other to form heart.
- Using tweezers, apply sprinkles to hearts.
- Prepare decorating bag with tip 1M and remaining white icing. Pipe loop border around top of cake.
- How to Pipe a Shell
- How to Ice a Cake with Tip 789
- To make sure heat is evenly distributed around your cake try Bake Even Strips, which helps preventing high domes and overbaking.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a cooling rack about 10-15 minutes before removing to prevent cracking or breaking. Cool cake completely before decorating.
Check Out More How Tos:
Whether you need to know how many servings your cake will yield or how much batter or icing you need to fill your pan, this cake sizes and cake serving chart will help you figure it out!
Whether you’re new to baking or you’re just looking to fine-tune your skills, these tips and tricks for baking a perfect cake will help you get great results every time.
Wondering how to get perfect cake layers? It’s actually easier than you think! By choosing the right pan and preparing it properly, you can bake delicious cake layers that will be ready to decorate in no time!
Making your own buttercream from scratch is a great way to add flavor and personal flair to your cakes and cupcakes, but if your butter is too soft or the room is too hot, your frosting may not come out as desired.
Skip the store bought bakes and try one of these quick and easy Valentine’s Day desserts instead!
Strawberry Cream Filling
Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
How to Fill & Layer a Cake
Raspberry Cake Filling
Pastry Cream Filling