Wonderful for any fall or winter celebration, this Caramel Apple Cake takes the flavors we know and love and turns them into something much easier to eat! Made with real apples, cinnamon and applesauce, this cake is a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday, holiday or weekend dinner with friends!
Caramel Apple Cake
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Butter 2 Sticks Softened
- 1 ¾ cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¾ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ cup Gala Apple about 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
Step 1: Prep Your Pan
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325°F. Prepare three 6in. round cake pans with vegetable pan spray.
- If you don’t have3 pans, you can bake these cake layers one at a time.
Step 2: Combine Your Ingredients
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally add in the vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and applesauce to the butter mixture, starting and ending with flour. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped apple pieces.
Step 3: Bake Your Cakes
- Divide the cake batter evenly into your prepared pans, filling about 2/3 full. If you’re only using one pan, simply repeat this until you have 3 baked cake layers.
- Bake the cake layers for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake layers comes out clean.
- Cool for 10minutes in the pan, then remove the cakes and let them cool completely on a cooling grid.
Step 4: Decorate Your Cake
- Get a smooth surface on your cakes by removing any domes from your cake layers. This excess cake is perfect for snacking or freezing and using for cake pops later!
- Prepare the Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting, following the recipe instructions. Fill and frost your cake.
- To add a decorative element, use the tip of a spatula to add texture to the sides and top of your cake.
- This cake would also be delicious with the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting.
- Add a little festive decoration to your cake by topping it with cinnamon sticks, sliced apples or even a drizzle of caramel sauce!
Check out more recipes & how-tos:
How to Make Navy Blue Buttercream Frosting
Get just the right shade of navy blue for your cakes and cupcakes with this guide on how to make navy blue buttercream frosting.
30+ of Our Best No-Bake Desserts
Beat the heat with some of our favorite no-bake desserts. They’re quick and easy to make so you can enjoy these tasty treats without even breaking a sweat!
Our Favorite Cake Flavor & Filling Idea Combinations
From classic combinations, like red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting, to new and unique flavor pairings, like carrot cake with marshmallow buttercream, this collection of cake flavors and frosting combinations will have you looking at your favorite cake recipes in a whole new way!