This recipe for traditional peppermint bark uses Candy Melts candy and Peppermint Crunch candies to create a holiday favorite that’s perfect for parties and gift-giving. One recipe makes about 8 to 10 servings.
Cocoa and peppermint are one the all-time best holiday duos, and this recipe for peppermint bark combines them into one tasty treat!
With only three ingredients, this peppermint bark recipe takes just minutes to put together. You can even double or triple the recipe if you need more bark for favors or gifts.
We start off this peppermint bark with Light or Dark Cocoa Candy Melts candy. You can use either one, they’re both delicious! The Light Cocoa candy has a milder chocolate flavor, while the Dark Cocoa is suggested for those who love the bitter flavors of dark chocolate.
You’ll also need one bag of White or Bright White Candy Melts candy for the top candy layer. Again, either color will do. The Bright White candy has a brighter, more vibrant hue than the more muted white color, but they both taste the same (vanilla flavored).
Finally, Peppermint Crunch candies offer that pop of flavor and texture that makes this peppermint bark so iconic. Using these pre-crushed candies is great for convenience, but you can also use crushed up candy canes if you’d rather do that. Simply place the candy canes in a resealable bag and smash with a rolling pin or meat hammer. You can also pulse the candy canes in a food processor until crumbly.
Peppermint bark recipe
- 1 bag (12 oz.) Light or Dark Cocoa Candy Melts Candy
- 5 tablespoons Peppermint Crunch Candies, divided
- 1 bag (12 oz.) White or Bright White Candy Melts Candy
How do you make peppermint bark from scratch?
Step 1: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the Light or Dark Cocoa Candy Melts according to package instructions. Stir in 2 tablespoons of Peppermint Crunch candies.
Step 2: Pour the melted cocoa candy into a nonstick 13 x 9 in. pan or cookie sheet. Using an angled spatula, smooth the candy into a nice, even layer. Chill until set, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: While the cocoa candy sets, melt the White or Bright White Candy Melts according to package instructions. Stir in 2 tablespoons of Peppermint Crunch candies.
Step 4: Spread the melted white candy over the cocoa candy, then immediately top with the remaining Peppermint Crunch candies. Chill until set, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 5: Once set, break your bark into small pieces and serve! You can also package it in holiday treat bags to gift to friends and family.
How to melt Candy Melts candy
Though we used a microwave for this project, Candy Melts candy can also be melted in a double boiler or using the Candy Melts Melting Pot. Here are a few tips for easy melting and pouring:
- Make sure your bowl, pot and utensils are completely clean and dry before using. Any water that finds its way into your candy can cause seizing or streaking.
- Follow the instructions for properly melting your candy. If melted on too high a setting for too long, your candy can lose its consistency and become unusable.
- If candy becomes too thick, add 2 teaspoons of solid vegetable shortening per 12 oz. of candy. You can also use EZ Thin Dipping Aid to rescue your overheated candy.
You can find more tips and tricks for using Candy Melts here: How to Melt Candy Melts Candy.
Why does my peppermint bark separate?
Separating can happen if your cocoa candy is too cold before you add your white candy on top. Let your cocoa layer sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before adding the white candy layer.
How long does peppermint bark keep?
This candy can be stored for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Candy Melts will also hold their shape at room temperature, so there’s no need to refrigerate this bark.
Avoid freezing this bark, as the peppermint candies can become sticky once thawed.
What is peppermint bark made of?
Traditionally, peppermint bark uses only three ingredients: cocoa candy or chocolate, white candy or white chocolate and peppermint crunch candies…but you can personalize it however you’d like!
Here are a few other variations to try!
Peppermint bark variations
- Sprinkle on the fun with Holiday Jimmies, or give your bark a little ‘character’ with these Santa and reindeer icing decorations.
- Omit the cocoa candy altogether and use 2 bags of white candy for a snowy peppermint bark. Or swap out the cocoa candy with Red Candy Melts.
- Top your bark with peppermint candies or cookies for more texture and flavor.
More peppermint recipes
A cup of hot cocoa is made even better with these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
Top your chocolate cake or cupcakes with this creamy Peppermint Buttercream recipe.
After a long day of holiday shopping, this no-bake Peppermint Pie is a sweet way to end the day!
Add a festive swirl of peppermint to coffee or hot cocoa with these Candy-Dipped Peppermint Spoons.
Whether you’re dreaming of sugar plums or peppermint candies, this Christmas Cake with Peppermint Decorations is great for Christmas or December birthdays.
With three layers of peppermint flavor, this White Chocolate Peppermint Magic Cake is a sweet treat for anyone who loves a pop of peppermint!
A little bit of booze can certainly help us get through the holiday season! These Spiked Chocolate Peppermint Shots are a great way to unwind after holiday shopping or Christmas wrapping. For a non-alcoholic version, check out our Whipped Hot Chocolate Peppermint Shots.
Did you try this tasty peppermint bark? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 1 bag Light or Dark Cocoa Candy Melts Candy 1 bag = 12 oz.
- 5 tbsp Peppermint Crunch Candies, divided
- 1 bag White or Bright White Candy Melts Candy 1 bag = 12 oz.
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl and use it to melt your chosen flavor of cocoa Candy Melts Candy according to the package instructions. Once melted, add 2 tablespoons of Peppermint Crunch Candies and stir till thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the combined mixture into a nonstick 13 x 9 in. pan or cookie sheet. Use an angled spatula to make sure the mixture is spread smoothly and evenly across the pan or sheet.
- Chill the entire pan or sheet in the refrigerator until it's set (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- While the cocoa candy sheet sets in the refrigerator, use a microwave-safe bowl to melt the White or Bright White Candy Melts Candy according to package instructions.
- When melted, add 2 tablespoons of Peppermint Crunch Candies and stir till it's thoroughly mixed.
- Once the cocoa sheet has set completely, remove it from the refrigerator and add the second layer of melted Candy Melts Candy and Peppermint Crunch candies to it.
- Smooth out new layer using an angled spatula and then return the pan or sheet to the refrigerator to chill until it's set. This should take another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the combined sheet has set completely, remove it from the refrigerator.
- Finally, break your bark into whatever sized pieces you'd like and serve them!